Denise and I got up early early this morning to make our own version of a pilgrimage to Montserrat. It was about an hour train ride followed by a 5-minute, 45 degree steep (at points) cable car ride up a mountain. Yikes. But it was beautiful views and worth being saved the 2 hour hike.
Once on the mountain we explored a little bit, then made it into the Basilica. Mass was ending so we saw a bit of that, and then we got to hear La Escolaria, or the Boys' Choir, perform. It was really cool--they don't sound like little boys but they don't really sound like little girls either. A good mix perhaps? Instead of watching them sing the whole time we went out and got in line to go see the Black Virgin of Montserrat up in her altar. It was really cool---you walk up these stairs to an altar of her and her son. This altar looks out over the entire church, so we got a great view of it as well. Everyone coming before us kissed the wooden ball she held in her hand, but Denise and I weren't sure what that meant/we're both kind of sick, so we didn't do that. But we did get a good look at her.
After walking around a little more and grabbing sandwiches, we made our way back down the mountain via cable car. A bit scary on the way down to be honest. But we made it safe and got on the train home. Once we made it to Barcelona, we decided to go over to the Arc de Triomphe and the Parc de la Ciutadella. I hadn't been over there yet, and it reminded me of a smaller/a little more rustic looking Tullieres. It was pretty though and I want to go back--they have rowboats!
I took Denise on a little bit longer of a walk then intended, and then since she wanted to go see Hospital San Pau, and I was exhausted, I told her how to get there and sent her on the way. I went home and relaxed a little bit until Denise came home. We had some pizza for dinner (yum) and settled in a for a lazy night (minus a flurry of excitement at one point). We are TIRED, but it was a fun weekend and totally worth it.
Denise leaves tomorrow :( and I go back to the reality of class. But this is the last week before Spring Break and Ben! Can't wait for either.
Besos
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment