Friday, March 7, 2008

Fire and Ice

Today was another whirlwind journey around Barcelona! Denise and I got off to a good start with a little breakfast at Fornet. I showed her some typical Spanish pastries (ensaimadas, which are actually Mallorcan but that counts). Then we got on the metro and headed for Plaza Urquinaona.

There we started walking down Via Laietana. I showed her the Palau de la Musica, then we walked down and explored the Cathedral, which is still under scaffolding on the facade. We walked around the Barri Gotic area for a bit, then circled back to El Born. I took her in Santa Maria del Mar and then down the coast a little. We tried to go up into the Columbus statue but it is being renovated. Oh well. Then we walked up Las Ramblas and saw all the crazy performers. We walked around in La Boqueria and then had a quick lunch at Pita Inn (can't beat 1.95 euro falafel pitas).

After lunch we journeyed over to Montjuic. We went to the Miro museum and then walked over to the Olympic Stadium. We walked past the MNAC and then down to the Plaza Espanya to get the metro home. We indulged in the Spanish cultural tradition of the siesta, then had another delicious meal of salad and pan con tomate. Yum.

We had a little themed get together in my apartment tonight. I was kind of nervous about noise before hand, but it turned out to just be our good friends and not too loud. The theme was "Fire and Ice," and we had a good time just hanging out. We decided that a club or bar might be a little much for tonight, so we called it a night.

Tomorrow we are going to go to La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and the Picasso Museum. They're a little spread out around the city but it will be an adventure. If we have time we'll go up to Tibidabo tomorrow as well, so that could be fun. Sunday I think we are going to go to Montserrat, a monastery outside the city. I'm excited!

Besos

No comments: