Happy Saint Patrick's Day! I hope everyone had some good (safe!) fun today. Being an 1/8 Irish (hey, my mom's side of the family are the McFarlands, I am somewhat legit), I truly identify with this holiday. ;-) Even though it's not big here as a holiday, it was nice to see some crazy Irish people running around in green t-shirts with shamrocks.
Ben and I got up this morning, had some breakfast, and then headed up to Tibidabo, the highest point in the city. Although it took me a little while to figure it out, Ben was patient, and eventually we found the Line 7 to take us up to the base of the mountain. After that we got on what is called the Tramvia Blau, an old Angels-Flight-esque tram that takes you up a big hill. After that you take a funicular, that actually feels very high up and a little precarious, but has beautiful views.
The attractions on Tibidabo include a church and an amusement park. Quite the juxtaposition, but it was beautiful up there nonetheless. The church had some really amazing mosaic work, and some kind of odd looking chandeliers. We walked up around to get into the more austere Basilica, which was pretty too. The views were spectacular, and I took a lot of pictures. Then we walked around the amusement park, which was kind of odd but old so it had that classic charm. Sort of. After a bit Ben and I made the whole trek back down the mountain and back into Plaza Catalunya.
We got some gelato at Dino's (my favorite) and then walked over to the Block of Discord, then on to the Egypt Museum. It was awesome, and they have a special exhibit right now of sarcophagi that was really cool. Ben knows a lot about Egypt (even reading some of the hieroglyphics off the artifacts, show off) so it was fun to have him as a tour guide. We had a good time and it was really interesting, even though one of the exhibits was completely in Catalan (whyyyy).
We walked back down to the Boqueria and got some veggies for dinner tonight. Ben made me a spectacular stir-fry dish of tofu, egg, zucchini, red bell pepper, onion, and garlic all over rice. With soy sauce. YUM. He also made this yummy tomato and goat cheese bread. I just about cried that I didn't have to cook for myself and it was soooo delicious. Job well done! :-D
I'm still getting over my cold and Ben has been tired from his life in general (he's a busy guy) so we stayed in and watched a movie. Tomorrow we are going to motivate a little earlier and see some cool things (to be decided).
Besos
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment