Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oh what a night...

Before I start, I must welcome to the world my first nephew, Ashton Jeffrey! He was born yesterday, February 5th at 3:45pm. He weighs 8 lbs and is 20 inches. Born on Mardi Gras---I forsee fun things ahead for him. Congrats Toni and Jeff!

Yesterday was a pretty typical Tuesday. Modernism class, then Spanish, home for lunch and back for Latin America. I am staying awake much more in my Latin America class now that I have taken to drinking coffee right before it. The miracle of caffeine.

I came home after class and relaxed a little bit before the big CARNAVAL 2008 extravaganza began. I made dinner, took a shower, and hung out a little bit. A bunch of girls came over and we all got ready together. I wore my gold pants, Christen's black long sleeve shirt, my Uggs, a gold band around my head, and more gold eyeshadow then I knew existed on this Earth. I also used some liquid eyeliner (which is still on my face despite 3 washes) and gold glitter. We topped it off with some sparkle hair spray. Tina had her white boa and mask, Gaby and Holly had wings (butterflies or fairies, kind of undecided), and Christen and Rose drew crazy masks on their faces with face paint. Stacey and Emily wore pink tights and black dresses and tiaras. Pretty much everyone was as sparkly as possible.

The boys came downstairs and we did a little photo shoot. Aaron was wearing a Barca flag, Johnny was wearing some sort of Robin Hood-esque tunic, and Kyle was rocking the toga. We took a million pictures, and ended up leaving at around 10:30. We were a sight to be seen. We took the metro to Sants Estacio and waited for the train to Sitges! Wow, there were a lot of people there. We were standing there waiting, and these guys were standing behind us. One of them tapped me on the shoulder, and when Aaron and I turned around, he showed me his penis.

Oh. My. God. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

So gross. Aaron pulled me in front of him and away from those creepers. Seriously, was that at all necessary? No. And was the next thing that happened necessary either? Probably not.

As the train came, everyone got really nervous I guess that they weren't going to get on the train. This resulted in chaos. I'm talking pushing, shoving, hitting, pulling. I actually was pushed on to my knees and yelled at my friends who pushed me up onto the train. Really? And then we all pushed on to the train until everyone on the train was all up on each other. This guy wanted to get off because we were all "crazy," which means he got to push me in order to get off. Thanks pal.

We rode for 35 minutes in the hottest train car I've ever experienced. The windows were fogging, we were all sweating profusely, and we were all touching. Basically, it was Hell. Was it worth it?

Yes! Sitges turned out to be so much fun. We walked around a little bit until we were on a little street that the parade was passing down. Float after float came by, all with different themes and colors and people dancing on them. There were many a drag queen to be seen, and they all liked to dance with me (I think it was the gold pants). Luckily Hana was able to catch some pretty amazing photos that I will steal from her and put up here, since I didn't bring my camera. People were throwing confetti, dancing, singing, it was SO much fun. I'm so glad I ended up going.

The one downer was when one of the girls on one of the floats leaned over to rustle my hair. I was fine with that, we were both laughing, but then she FELL OFF. Oh my God. She was on her back in the street and it all happened so fast, but her friends pulled her back on the float and it kept moving. We were all shocked and covered in her drink she spilled. I hope she is ok!

After the parade was over we made our way to the train station. The train wasn't coming for 45 minutes, so we went to a little bar. Aaron, Hana and I split a hot dog. Yum. Then we went and pushed through the masses to get on to the train. Literally, my feet were not on the ground at some points. It was horrible. Then, when the train finally did come (at 3:30 am), everyone was cold and wanted to go home, so again, more pushing. That wasn't necessary, as they had controlled the number of people they had let on the platform this time and therefore the trains weren't overcrowded. The train got us back to Barca at about 4:15.

Now the fun begins. The metro doesn't start running until 5 am, so we figured we would just take taxis. Except all the taxis were waiting to take people to the airport? I don't really know, but regardless, after trying to find a cab for awhile, Rose led us home. She knew where we were going and it was actually a pretty quick walk back. I got home, washed my face, changed, and got in bed. Our whole apartment is covered in glitter and confetti. We all had confetti inside our clothes (how that happened, I have no idea) and in our hair, so it practically poured off of us as we got changed. Alas, nothing a little Swiffer action can't fix. I was in bed by 5.

I had an 8:30 class this morning, and I was all set to go to it. I set my alarm for 7:40. Well, on our phones here you can set the time, put you also have to turn the alarm on. I forgot that part. I woke up at 8:10. By the time I would have gotten ready, gotten to IES, and into class, I would have been at least 30-40 minutes late. So, I slept in. Eek--I haven't skipped a class since freshmen year, but we are allowed 3 absences for every class before our grade is affected, and I don't plan on missing anymore. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I woke up at 10:30 and made it to my Spanish class at 12. Usually there are 18 or 19 people in the class. Today there were 11. I think 10 of them were girls. Nicely done guys.

I wasn't going to come home but I decided that I really just wanted to relax. I had some pan con tomate and worked on this. Then I went back towards school for some coffee and to study for my Catalan quiz. Yet instead of Catalan today, or at least for the majority of it, I was interviewed the channel Barcelona TV about what it is like to be living in Spain while all the election stuff is happening back home! Tomorrow night I am going to be on TV. Speaking Spanish. About American politics.

I only thought so many weird things could happen to one person in one 24 hour period.

I came home afterwards and went to wine tasting with Tina, Johnny, Rose and Lindsey. It was at this cute little place in El Born. We had some cava to start off, and then we learned how to look at wine, how to smell it, and how to taste it. We learned about the order wine is served, what goes with what food, and what tones you find in different wines. We tried one white, one rose, and two red. It was so fun! And there was lots of cheese and jamon so that is always a bonus.

I came home and made my asparagus from la Boqueria. That's right parents--I ate a plate of asparagus for dinner. No, I'm not lying. Promise.

Here are some of Hana's pictures!
The Egyptian themed float.
The giant cock. Haha we thought we were clever.
Aaron with one of the less attractive cross-dressers of the evening.

Aaron, Hana and I practicing the Soulja Boy on the train tracks. Note the gold pants.
Tina and I so happy to be celebrating Carnaval!
Me with one of the many drag queens I danced with. Love it.
This was the train to Sitges. This was hell.
An example of one of the many beautiful floats in our amazing parade!

Now it's a little homework and then bed. I am beat! One more day of class and then it's off to PARIS on Friday! WAHOO!

Besos

P.S. Here is a video from Saturday's Carnaval celebration. So much crazy.


No comments: