Thursday, February 21, 2008

Off to Euskadi

Oh Thursday! How happy I am to see you each time you come around. In the abroad world (well, I guess in the Tufts world too), Thursday means weekend (but at Tufts I'm usually not jetsetting the next day).

I had Modernism this morning, and we ended talking about Gaudi. Next week we have 2 field trips, the first to La Sagrada Familia, the second to Casa Mila (also know as La Pedrera). Even though I have been to both before, I am super excited to go with a tour guide. I'm sure I missed a ton of stuff when I went the first time around, and I love learning details about places. Then I can be an even better tour guide of the city!

Spanish class was fun today, as we learned about colloquial sayings about animals (sly as a fox, fat as a cow [or seal!]). We got our tests back, and I did really well, so I'm happy about that. Not that it matters anyway, but it's always nice to do well. Aaron and I went and got a falafel after class and went down to the area we were in last night for the churros to shop around. I didn't buy anything (neither did Aaron), but I'm eyeing this pretty black coat from H&M. It isn't that expensive either, but if I'm still thinking about it when I come back from this weekend I might have to break down and get it. I've been so good (no shopping this whole time!), so we'll see.

After some amazing Dino gelato, we went over to IES II for a bit. Then class. I was excited because we were supposed to watch a documentary today for 30 minutes of class, but he couldn't get this disk to work! Boo. So we'll watch it on Tuesday.

WEEKEND. I went to grab a quick coffee after class, then had to run up to the bus to get on it (oops) to get home. I've been very productive---laundry, dinner, shower, painting my nails, even watching an episode of ANTM (Cycle 10 premiered last night = love). Now I'm just doing a little bit of research for my trip this weekend!

I'm off to San Sebastian, which is located in the pais vasco, or Basque country. My Spanish 122 teacher at Tufts is fluent in euskari (the Basque language) and he had all these great stories about the region. I've been interested in going there for a long time now, and it's finally happening! We are flying early tomorrow to Bilbao, but going straight to San Sebastian. On Saturday we are going to see more of San Sebastian, as well as the little town Hondarribia. Sunday we are going to Gernika (Guernica) and on to Bilbao. Can't wait for the Guggenheim! Then we come back to Barca. It is going to be a packed weekend of touring, but I'm so excited! I probably won't have internet access this weekend, so you'll just have to wait until Sunday to hear all about it!

Is this really my life? Do I really live in Spain and do I really get to go to amazing places? I can't believe that I'm actually abroad, still. I know that seems so silly, but it just can't be real that I live in Barcelona, go to class, walk by famous Modernism sites, go on amazing trips, see all my friends from home, make new ones along the way, and speak Spanish (and Catalan). I am SO grateful to be here and feel so lucky every time I look out the window on the bus and see Casa Batllo or the urban beauty of Placa Catalunya. I only have a little over 2 months left in Europe (really unbelievable, where has time scampered off to?), and I have San Sebastian, Prague, Berlin, and Lisbon on the horizon, as well as visits from Denise, Nikki and Ben--I couldn't be happier! This is all so wonderful. :-)

I'm going to go be happy more. Thank you to everyone who has had any hand in me being here (that means you, padres). Or, as they say in San Sebastian, Eskerrik asko! Love you guys!

Mil Besos!

No comments: