Thursday, February 14, 2008

El Dia de Amor

Happy Valentine's Day! Contrary to initial belief, they do indeed celebrate Valentine's Day in Spain. All day I have seen people carrying around flowers. It's nice and not overbearing like it can be in the US. I know a lot of people are anti-Feb 14th, but what's so bad about taking a day to say I love you, especially when the world isn't saturated in it? I know on April 23 (22?) there will be many more roses to speak of. I don't remember the name now, but it is a day when all men give their female friends, family members, and significant others roses, while women give their equivalent men books. Fun huh?

I awoke to a Valentine heart with a lollipop attached from Tina this morning. And then I came home for lunch and was greeted by chocolate and a mini-bottle of cava (Spanish champagne) from Gaby. What sweet roommates I have!

Today we had architecture class in class again. Next week we'll have normal classes but the week after we have 2 field trips in a row! :-) I am really enjoying that class and we are talking Gaudi right now so it's super interesting.

My Spanish test was pretty easy. I guess people in other levels struggled with their tests a little bit more but from what other people in my class have said it doesn't seem like anyone thought it was too hard. I am definitely studying and doing my work here but it is so hard to be motivated when it doesn't matter what grades you get.

I tried to take the bus home for lunch today but there was a big demonstration happening in the street by Plaza Catalunya. The only sign I saw said (translated) RIP Public Education. Hmm. I took the metro home and relaxed for a bit. Even if the tests don't mean much, it's still nice to be done with them.

I went back for my last class and then returned home. We have a field trip tomorrow for that class. We are going to a little town called Villanova i de Geltru or something very close to that. It's a 4 hour little excursion, but it should be interesting and it isn't supposed to rain tomorrow, which is good. It sprinkled a little today but not enough! I'm not excited for water rationing in April...

I got ready and the whole Spanish house went out to dinner for Valentine's Day! In John's words, we were going to "weep for being away from someone or for not having someone." We ended up going to a Middle Eastern place. It was really yummy. Tina, Gaby and I split some hummus and pita, and then I had some biryani rice with chicken. It was nice to have a family dinner ;-) in honor of V-Day.

The trip back was so annoying---it was 1 by the time we left the restaurant, aka no more metro, aka time for the Nit Bus. BOO. The Nit Bus was packed with people who like to push. In fact, all Spaniards like to push. And yell at each other. They have a LOT of feelings. Basically it made me feel a little anti-late night transportation/public transportation in general. I'm glad to be home in my bed.

I hope everyone had a lovely day celebrating in whatever form! Tomorrow I'm waking up early to get my Valentine :-) (oh time difference!), and I'm off to the field trip in the morning and then undecided for the afternoon.

Besos

No comments: